Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Best Day of the Year!!

This is, hands down, my favorite day of the year. I strategically have never allowed a relationship with the fairer sex to lapse into February, saving me a substantial sum of money when Valentne's Day rcomes around and I don't need any relationship obligations interfering with prime sports months, aka February-May, so I've always been a June-December kind of guy. Well the four most beautiful words in the english language can finally be uttered, "Pitchers and Catchers Report" and it happens to fall on Valentine's Day, (I take umbrage with Drew Barrymore saying "cellar door" is the most beautiful phrase in Donnie Darko).

Finally the day has arrived, and as a Cubs fan hope springs eternal. The Cubs are tabbed by Baseball prospectus to be a 90-win team (along with the Brew Crew) and espn's Rob Neyer projects the NL Central as a two-team race. Now, I figure the baseball gods can only allow this curse to go on for 100-years, because there would be a sort of poetic justice if the Cubs win the World Series, 100 is just such a nice round number. 101 years, that would just be sick and twisted, I mean how much losing can one franchise endure??

This spring training, unlike years past, the Cubs actually have some stability in their lineup and rotation. They return a bevy of starting pitchers to go along with the signing of Jon Lieber. The additions of Soto playing everday as the 6th or 7th hitter and Fukudome in the 5th spot will do wonders for a line-up that struggled to score runs. I hope everyone is as excited as I am by the start of another baseball season!

No comments: